Graduate Certificate in Consumer and Community Engagement
We have partnered with the Health Issues Centre in Victoria to provide the Graduate Certificate in Consumer and Community Engagement course that has been tailored for NSW.
This accredited program will be run over four (4) days on 30 & 31 August plus 13 & 14 September 2018.
Each day will run from 9.30am - 4.30pm, at the Sydney Mechanics' School of Arts, 280 Pitt Street, Sydney NSW 2000.
This four-day course is aligned with the NSQHS - Standard 2 and is for staff working in health services and other health-related organisations. It is designed for quality managers, clinical team leaders, consumer engagement coordinators and staff, government officers and others seeking training and national accreditation. Experienced consumer representatives are also welcome to attend the course.
This course provides staff with the skills and knowledge to work collaboratively in a range of settings to provide strategic consumer engagement services to:
- health services and their staff
- government and non-government bodies.
Candidates may enter the qualification if they can demonstrate that they have completed a Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma in a health consumer related field, or have five years relevant work experience in a health consumer-related area.
The advanced course in Consumer Engagement consists of four units:
- Manage operations within a consumer and community engagement framework
- Support consumer and community engagement planning
- Lead the implementation of organisational consumer and community engagement
- Manage and develop systems and structures for consumer and community engagement
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be competent to:
- evaluate best practice for consumer engagement in health to inform policy and practice in their own work
- recommend evidence-based best practice improvements to the current consumer engagement practice of an organisation
- operate within community development, consumer engagement and/or health promotion principles
- work effectively within a social inclusion framework and with diversity in the community
- evaluate the capacity of an organisation to meet legal and reporting requirements in relation to consumer engagement
- develop/review the consumer engagement plan of an organisation
- promote consumer leadership within an organisation
- develop effective consumer leadership within an organisation
- engage the organisation with key external stakeholders relevant to consumer engagement
- seek funding for consumer-led initiatives
- design processes to evaluate a consumer engagement plan
- implement consumer engagement in an organisation
- facilitate the professional development and training of staff in consumer engagement
- manage the learning and development of consumers in consumer engagement
- manage partnerships with key external stakeholders and networks
- manage systems for the recruitment and management of consumers
- involve consumers in staff selection, interviews, appraisals and training
- encourage the conduct of research into consumer engagement
- review consumer engagement systems and structures of an organisation
- manage the effective operation of a Consumer Advisory Committee/Group (CAC/CAG) in an organisation
- design and implement community consultations and needs assessments for an organisation
- administer the establishment and maintenance of a consumer register in an organisation
- improve the consumer health information systems and strategies of an organisation.
This program will be delivered by Tere Dawson from the Health Issues Centre in Victoria. Tere has over a decade of experience in consumer engagement and participation practice and research. She has an extensive research and academic background, a Masters of Public Health, a Masters and PhD in sociology and anthropology and has published widely.
Using her Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, she was instrumental in the development of HIC's nationally accredited courses in consumer leadership and engagement. The courses aim to develop the capacity of consumers and the health sector to implement best practice consumer engagement.
Tere manages consultancy, research and tailored training for the health sector and community groups across Australia.
We successfully ran the first graduate course in May 2015, attended by 14 health consumer engagement professionals who are now our first certificate graduates.
Training Program Fees
The fee is $2,600 + GST per student
If you are interested in attending, please contact us for a Registration Pack.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)