Health Consumer Representative Training 2020
Our Consumer Representative Training course provides education, support and networking opportunities for new and experienced consumers engaged in advocacy and representative roles within health services.
It introduces the concepts and practises of consumer engagement in the NSW health system. The target group is health consumer representatives engaged with Local Health Districts, Primary Health Networks, public or private hospitals and health-related NGOs.
2020 training dates:
Training 1: THURSDAYS 9:30 – 3:30; 27 FEBRUARY & 5 MARCH 2020
Training 2: SATURDAYS 9:30 – 3:30; 16 & 23 MAY 2020
Training 3: TUESDAYS 9:30 – 3:30; 25 AUGUST & 1 SEPTEMBER 2020
Training 4: WEDNESDAYS 9:30 – 3:30; 28 OCTOBER & 4 NOVEMBER 2020
The program will:
- suit people relatively new to this role as well as more experienced health consumer representatives.
- provide extra support to assist you in carrying out your role.
- help you feel less like an “outsider” amongst clinicians and managers.
- address issues and questions you may have.
- give you the opportunity to learn from others in similar roles and to discuss problem-solving strategies.
- empower you to recognise the immense value you bring to the health service.
What is covered in the two-day training program?
- Understanding the role and responsibilities of health consumer representatives, health service providers and the interactions between these groups
- Context of the health system in NSW and the Primary Health Networks
- How consumer representatives help improve health services
- Using personal lived experience and stories in advocacy
- Understanding the importance of self-care
- The impact of values, beliefs and attitudes on communication
- Tips and tools for effective participation in meetings
Location and facilities
The two-day program is fully catered and delivered from HCNSW’s office venue at the Sydney Mechanics’ School of Arts building, Level 1, 280 Pitt St in Sydney and facilitated by two experienced educators.
We are only a five-minute walk from Town Hall and Museum train stations. We do not have any parking facilities. There is some on-street metered parking available in surrounding streets. There are also paid parking stations close to us.
Training program fees
The Consumer Representative Training is a comprehensive, two-day course.
Cost: $550 per person (GST included)
We encourage health services to cover the cost of this training for their health consumers, as part of their investment in consumer engagement. So if you are an existing health consumer representative with a Local Health District, Primary Health Network, hospital or similar organisation, your organisation should pay for you to attend this training. If you are not associated with an organisation, please get in contact with us to discuss payment options.
For information call or email our Training Manager, Emma Collins.
Phone: (02) 9986 1082
Use the form below to register yourself (health consumers) or your organisaton’s health consumer representatives (health services staff), stating clearly who is paying for the training and letting us know if you have any special requirements.
Some error has occured.